1. If you fall off that wall and break your legs, don’t come running to me!
2. Do you think I’m made of money?
3. Close the door! Were you born in a barn?
4. What part of ‘no’ don’t you understand?
5. How do you know you don’t like it, if you haven’t tasted it?
6. A little birdy told me.
7. If I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a thousand times.
8. Do you think this is a hotel?
9. Stop running down those stairs!
10. Are your hands broke, well then pick it up yourself!
11. Eat that up, imagine all the wee starving children who don’t get a bite
12. Eat your carrots they’ll help you see in the dark!
13. What’s for you won’t go past you!
14. Don’t make me call yer father
15. There’s great drying out there
16. Ask St. Jude /St. Anthony/ St. Martha
17. Turn Off/On the big light
18. Do ye want a poke or a slider?
19. You’ll be the death of me
20. Who’s she? The cats’ mother!
These women are full of charm, threats and wonderful notions. Eilis, ( my ma) has some great speaks, my fav “oh him, he’s an awful ol’ snool!”. Some of her speaks couldn’t be written on a public forum, I’m sure you can imagine.
We are sure you all could add to this list. Let us know some of your favourite Mammy-isms 🙂