You talked about it and made the move across the Atlantic with him, So now your room mates?! You now, have amassed a massive DVD collection, you share socks and nothing is sacred, that’s just the start of it;
1. There’s hair everywhere: Short man hair and long lady hair….EVERYWHERE! In the most annoying impossible to reach places, like between tiles, How? Why?
2. You can no longer watch TV: His hi-tech TV gives you a sore head, no longer do you press a button and there’s your show, now it involves multiple remotes, HDMI leads, surround sound…nope I’ll just sit in silence and read!
3. Small habits become very very big: His constant foot jigging while watching TV might lead to you cutting it off and you leaving shoes in every nook and cranny may lead to his downfall! Either way he looses, because of course you remember leaving your shoes in the middle of the floor in a dark room.
4.Effort? What effort? Remember when you only wore your cutest outfits and he was never less than dressy casual, that’s over! Now crusty pyjama bottoms and holy boxers are the order of the day.
5.Secrets: You can no longer talk to your friends about him, cos he’s right there, where can you go?
6. Be prepared to fight about furniture. Ikea has been the war ground for many co-habituating couples. He will not want the 28 cushions you have on your bed and you will be less than impressed with his novlty shower curtain! Deal with it, and that’s before you have to start building the stuff!
7. Oh this old thing?! You find ways to sneak in new purchases and invent wonderful back stories as to where said item came from. “This?! I got it from (insert appropriate name), she didn’t want it anymore”, “I’ve had it ages” also works a treat! Change it up though they are suspicious creatures by nature.
8. Sharing is caring: You will go looking for food and it won’t be there. Remember, what’s his is yours and what’s yours is his! Don’t be a dick about though, replace it, and DO NOT eat the last galaxy his mum brought him when she was over!
9. You don’t need to go out anymore (in a good way)
10. Bathroom rituals: This will become your own personal nightmare! Do you do it in work (you don’t like going in work either?) Do you announce it? Do you run the tap? Do you download the shower app, for the same job, because is less wasteful? Do you close every door between him and you? Do you talk through the door? Do you enter the room with frebrez and or candles? Good luck with this one, we’re still figuring it out!
What have you found since moving in with your other half? Domestic bliss or miss? Any tips or hints to share?